- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or melted chicken or goose fat
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 large russet potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup matzo meal, breadcrumbs or potato starch
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Using some of the vegetable oil, lightly grease 12 muffin tins.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, and cook for 5–6 minutes or until crispy and no liquid remains in the pan. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and grate them by hand or with the fine-shredding blade in a food
- processor. Place in a bowl. Grate the onion into the potato shreds. Stir in the eggs, matzo meal and remaining oil, and incorporate them completely. Add the mushrooms and peas and mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place mounds of the potato mixture into the muffin tins. (Can also make this in a 9"x13" pan or in a jelly roll pan.)
- Bake for 40–45 minutes or until browned and crispy.
This recipe originally appeared as part of Ronnie Fein’s article "Kugel Recipes Carry On"