Recipe: Syrian Salad with a Mexican Accent
This refreshing salad—courtesy of Hermosa Hagami, who was born in Mexico—makes an excellent accompaniment to chicken, kebabs, rice dishes... really everything.
Serves about 6
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, cubed
- 1 ½ medium white onions, diced
- 5 celery stalks, thinly sliced or diced
- 3 cucumbers, peeled if peel is bitter or waxed, then halved, seeded and cubed
- 1 fresh green serrano chile, halved, seeded, deveined and very finely minced
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch dried mint
Combine tomatoes, onions, celery, cucumbers and chile in a salad bowl. Add olive oil and lime juice to taste, along with a splash of vinegar. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and mint, and toss again.