“Secret Ingredient” Grilled Skillet Cornbread
Grilling Method: Indirect/High Heat
Special Equipment: Cast-iron skillet
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow or white cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk (coconut milk can be substituted to keep corn bread pareve)
- 1/8 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 1 generous heaping cup canned creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil to keep corn bread pareve)
- Mix flour and cornmeal.
- Add sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a wire whisk, mix until well combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix egg, milk and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Add creamed corn and mix until just combined. Do not overmix. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter in 10-inch cast iron skillet. Once butter is melted and pan is hot, pour batter directly into warm skillet.
- Place skillet immediately in the center of cooking grate. Place lid on grill and cook over indirect high heat (about 450°F) for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when placed in the center.
- Cut and serve from pan while still warm.