by Pati Jinich
Makes 4 generous cups
- 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 cup sweet Passover wine, such as Manischewitz
- 2/3 cup or about 1 ounce Dried Hibiscus Flowers or Jamaica
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, diced
- 2 Bosc pears, peeled, cored, diced
- 1/3 cup browns sugar
- 2 cups pecans
- Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour in the orange juice and Passover wine. Stir in the Hibiscus Flowers, let it come to a simmer and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped apples, pears and sugar, stir and cook for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until fruit is cooked through and tender. The mix should still be wet, but the ingredients should not be swimming in liquid. Stir in pecans and stir again. Remove from the heat.
- Once the mix has cooled down a bit, place it in the food processor. Pulse a few times, just until coarsely chopped. Serve or cover and place in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.